Monday, April 18, 2011

Corvairs have to be the worst engine ever made!!!!!!!!

First off I just want you to know how much I hate working on corvair heads. I would rather take a kick to the gonads than work on these things. OK, it all started about a month ago when this customer came in wanting to rebuild a set of 140hp corvair heads. After a few minutes talking to this guy I realized he was special. He wanted these heads to be perfect. I'm talking he just didnt want them within specs, he wanted everything within a thousandth of an inch. The hair on your head is two thousandths thick, so yeah I'm thinking I already don't like this guy. Not that I cant fulfill his requests, I'm thinking to myself why the heck should I. Its a friggin corvair.

So after I let them sit collecting dust for over a month hes calling my boss pissed that there not done. I guess its time to start on them. So I spent two days machining on these things making sure they are perfect. The valve job was cherry, I fly cut the cylinder bosses perfect. They were within his specs. I set the installed height for the customer and gave him spring shims because he wanted to assemble the heads. The customer wanted to check my work to make sure everything was up to his standards.

After a couple days of them sitting on the counter, all done, the customer decides to show up and was a little pissed at my boss because I didn't install new valve guides. I measured them and they were at the maximum allowed specs (still within specs) and wasn't going to change them because they are a pain in the butt to change. So today I spent 3 hours trying to change the valve guides and havent even changed one yet. I'm really considering about asking my boss if we don't do these heads anymore.



 See how ugly these things are!

No comments:

Post a Comment